Floppy disk on 701c parallel port of replicator.

k4r0nt3

Ciao a tutti e grazie agli admin per la registrazione!
Il 701c butterfly funzionante , ho l'unità floppy ma non il cavo. sto provando a fargli leggere un floppy IBM 27l4378 su porta parallela del port replicator. Pensate che sia possibile?Potreste darmi un aiuto? grazie mille.

ThinkPad 701 MultiPort II Port Enabler423510H4068
ThinkPad 701 EPP Printer Cable and FDD Cable Pack424110H4069

FLOPPY DRIVE OPTIONS
OPTION P/N
FRU P/N
External FDD
10H4068 (withdrawn)​
10H4056- FDD;
04H6916- cable​
FDD External Attachment Kit
66G3618​
66G5069​

Hi,thanks to all. I apologize for writing in Italian but the portal automatically translated the post for me. Yes, I have read all the sources you indicated and I thank you. I have the original FDD 1.44 but not the cable which from what I see is unobtainable or extremely expensive with shipments from the United States. I have an IBM slim FDD belonging to other TPs but it has the usual parallel cable. I also have the 701 port replicator that works. do you think I can use the slim FDD with that parallel port? I couldn't find anything about it in the 701c manuals.

I also have the 701 port replicator that works. do you think I can use the slim FDD with that parallel port? I couldn't find anything about it in the 701c manuals.

The 701c has neither a floppy disk drive nor a CD drive in the case. You have to try out whether the floppy drive works on the parallel port of the docking station. The floppy drive works or it doesn't work, nothing more can happen... ;-)

Thanks for the reply but maybe I explained myself badly. Naturally the floppy has parallel but I meant that at the operating system or bios level, the port that the floppy normally uses has a defined irq (5 and 7). I tried to redirect from the bios and assign the IRQ to the parallel but unfortunately when I go to query A: it doesn't seem to communicate. I therefore thought that an ad hoc Bios was needed to show the floppy on a parallel port.

I therefore thought that an ad hoc Bios was needed to show the floppy on a parallel port.

Redirecting an IRQ at the BIOS level is "wasted effort". It leads to "new errors".

Instead, try to get a correct external diskette drive: External diskette with cable 10H4068.

1713794674677.png

Document

Anhänge

• IBM ThinkPad 701 - Withdrawn.pdf
    14,6 KB · Aufrufe: 10
It seems like the only way to find the cable but it is practically very rare. Maybe someone here in the forum has a pair.....:sneaky:

It seems like the only way to find the cable but it is practically very rare. Maybe someone here in the forum has a pair.....:sneaky:

Unfortunately you are too imprecise when it comes to these parts. We need an exact photo of the floppy connector on the 701 and an exact photo of the floppy-connector and the part number / FRU of your floppy drive.

Only then do you know what kind of connection cable you need, and this cable also has a part number or a FRU. Then you can search and find... :)

You've got a floppydrive with UB 2000 port (IBM 27l4378 ) for T2x and A3x models.
Maybe this set will do the job : https://shop.delwi-itr.de/komponent...nkpad-t-series-fdd-external-cable-kit-08k6359 .
It's a set with UB 2000 connector (With thumbscrews for secure attachment to the floppy) and a parrallel adapter (for the propertiary IBM floppyconnector ) .

Greets Uwe
Hi and thanks for the reply but I already have the cable too. The problem I have to solve is that the parallel port of the dock II gives me an error when I test it from the bios. If I remove the connection to the floppy the test is ok. I probably need to verify that the 2000 works correctly on another TP. Then I have to understand whether the pointing to A: occurs automatically or whether the device needs to be redirected from the O.S.

I also have the original one but without cable

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
The problem I have to solve is that the parallel port of the dock II gives me an error when I test it from the bios. If I remove the connection to the floppy the test is ok.

This is a sure sign that the cable is damaged or that it is the wrong cable for a floppy disk.

• Cables for connecting to the standard drive with 21mm D-Connector -> Cable FRUs 04H6916 and 42H1510
  • Cable connecting floppy disk drive and parallel port: FRU 10H4069 or 04H6916.

You have to make sure that the cable and the floppy disk are compatible, otherwise there is no point in troubleshooting the BIOS or the operating system.

So you need a cable with FRU 04H6916 for your original drive ...

By the way : Is there a special reason for disabeling the parallel port in the upper part of the BIOS ?

Greets Uwe

So you need a cable with FRU 04H6916 for your original drive ...

By the way : Is there a special reason for disabeling the parallel port in the upper part of the BIOS ?

Greets Uwe
Hi, no I was testing the addressing, however I tried with other drives I had from old IBMs but nothing, I have to find its original cable. :(

Your Foto: The Drive is a Floppy Drive for T20, T21, T22, T23
  • IBM Floppy Drive Teac FD-05CSB, 1,44 MB
  • P/N 27L4378,
  • FRU 08K9606.
  • Disketten-Laufwerk-ID 28897
Hardware-Manual: Compatible in all 701 models - Disks:
  • 540 MB disk 13 ms 04H6894
  • 720 MB disk 13 ms 10H4096
ThinkPad 360, 750, 755 family disks, batteries, memory, and Dock I are NOT compatible in the ThinkPad 701 family.

I'm not sure if you have the right cable but the wrong floppy drive!
Beitrag automatisch zusammengeführt:

The right Floppy Disk Drive:

• IBM PART NUMBER:10H3980; IBM FRU NUMBER: 10H4056
  • The cable FRU is 74H0219, and the FDD FRU is 10H4056.
  • Product Family: ThinkPad 365X/XD, ThinkPad 365CD/CSD, ThinkPad 365E/ED
  • The right FRU number for the ThinkPad 365 FDD/Cable assembly as 75H7572.
  • PN 41H8228, FRU 41H7445 are false numbers from IBM, but the correct hardware.

1713907580453.png...1713907645549.png...1713907688262.png
Beitrag automatisch zusammengeführt:

FDD/Cable assembly 75H7572:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
He has got the right floppy drive (lower one in #12 ) but is missing the right connecting cable (FRU 04H6916 ) ...

Greets Uwe

He has got the right floppy drive (lower one in #12 ) but is missing the right connecting cable (FRU 04H6916 ) ...

Greets Uwe
the problem is that I find a lot of different FRUs and I don't find the correct one. like this one, attached to the correct drive but with a different FRU from the original one.

or even this one

Part 04H6916 is practically impossible to find except at prices that exceed €200 😅

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • ok1.de
  • ok2.de
  • thinkstore24.de
  • Preiswerte-IT - Gebrauchte Lenovo Notebooks kaufen

Werbung

Zurück
Oben